15 boxes of strawberries for $6.99
So with my 15 boxes I used
6 boxes for strawberry jam – my favourite microwave version
4 boxes for strawberry puree – perfect to freeze in ice cube trays for smoothies, or to pour over icecream or meringues
2 boxes for a rustic Summer Strawberry Cake – a favourite from Martha Stewart
2 boxes for icecream – soften a good store-bought vanilla bean icecream and add berries and puree
1 box for choc dipped berries – perfect with after-dinner coffee
Summer Strawberry Cake
- 85g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 180g plain flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 180g sugar
- 1 large egg
- 120ml milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 500g strawberries, hulled and halved
- extra 2 tbs sugar for topping, I used demerara sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. Line the base of a 23cm springform cake with baking paper and butter the sides. Alternatively use a deep 23cm pie dish.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt together in a small bowl.
3. In a larger bowl, beat the softened butter and sugar until pale and fluffy with an electric mixer, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the egg, milk and vanilla and mix until just combined.
5. Add the flour mixture gradually, mixing until just smooth.
6. Pour into prepared cake pan.
7. Arrange strawberries, cut side down, on top of batter, as closely as possible in a single layer, it will be a tight fit.
8. Sprinkle with the extra sugar.
9. Bake cake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 160C and bake the cake until golden brown and a tester comes out free of wet batter, about 50 minutes to 60 minutes. (Gooey strawberries on the tester are a given.) Let it cool in the pan on a rack.
Chocolate Dipped Strawberries
- 1 box strawberries
- 125g dark 70% cocoa chocolate, roughly broken into pieces
- handful pistachios or hazelnuts, roasted and finely chopped