Difficulty: Easy Time: 30 – 40 minutes, approx Serves: 4
- 500g beef fillet, or thick cut sirloin steaks
For the Salad
- Selection of Asian greens and/or baby cos lettuce and watercress sprigs
- 1 bunch mint
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced
- 1/2 bunch Vietnamese Mint
- Lebanese cucumber, finely sliced
- 1 punnet baby Roma tomatoes, halved
- zest of 2 limes
- Crispy shallots
- ground rice, optional, (lightly toasted Jasmine rice, ground in a mortar with a pestle)
For the Dressing
- 2/3 cup Lime juice
- 1/3 cup Fish sauce
- 2 tbs palm sugar or to taste
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp soy sauce
1. Preheat BBQ or char-grill pan on medium heat.
2. Trim and tie the beef fillet with string to keep a good shape. Rub the meat with olive oil and a little fish sauce, season well with cracked black pepper.
3. Cook the beef fillet , turning once, for about 10 -12 minutes for Medium Rare. Rest for 10 minutes before slicing across the grain. For sirloin steaks, cook each side for about 2-3 minutes, for Rare. Rest before slicing.
4. Meanwhile, make the salad. In a large bowl combine all the salad ingredients, except the crispy shallots and ground rice, if using. Chill.
5. For the Dressing. Combine all the ingredients in a screw-top jar, Shake well.
6. To assemble the Salad. Slice the beef across the grain. Moisten the salad leaves with a little of the dressing.
7. Start ‘building’ the salad. Arrange salad leaves on a platter or plate, layer over some pieces of beef, add another layer of salad, and then more beef slices.
8. Finish with a few salad leaves and sprinkle with crispy shallots and ground rice, if using, and drizzle with more dressing. Serve straight away.