A quick Christmas Pudding Semi-freddo I served last night is definitely worth a mention. It’s from Karen Martini’s book, Cooking at Home, but instead of Boozy Prunes to accompany, I made a Fresh Cherry Compote. I made the pudding in individual moulds, but one large one would be fine.
Christmas Pudding Semifreddo
- 1 lit vanilla bean icecream, softened
- 350g plum pudding (a bought one is fine)
- 120g macadamias, toasted, chopped
1. To the softened icecream add the crumbled Christmas pudding and the toasted macadamias, mix to combine.
2. Line a large mould with clingwrap or grease individual moulds with almond oil
3. Spoon the icecream into the moulds, cover with clingwrap and freeze for 8 hours.
4. Unmould onto serving plates, garnish with fresh holly and redcurrants. Serve with Fresh Cherry Compote.
Fresh Cherry Compote
- 300g frozen pitted cherries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 500g fresh cherries, pitted
- lemon juice
1. combine the sugar and water in a small saucepan, add the frozen cherries and simmer for 5-10 minutes
2. Puree the cherries, then return them to the saucepan and cook on high heat for about 5 minutes until thick and syrupy. Remove from heat.
3. Add the fresh pitted cherries and a good squeeze of lemon juice.
4. Serve at room temperature.