Serve it with a simple Asian Style Coleslaw.
Seared Atlantic Salmon with Caramel Chilli & Lime Sauce
- 4 middle cut salmon fillets
For the sauce
- 3/4 cup palm sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbs ginger, finely juilenned
- 2 small red chillies, sliced with seeds
- 1 large chilli, seeded and cut into fine juilenne
- 3 tbs fish sauce
- 4 tbs lime juice
1. Put the palm sugar and water into a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Increase the heat to medium and bring to the boil without stirring. Cook until it becomes a golden brown, about 5-8 minutes.
2. Add the ginger, chillies and fish sauce and cook briefly until the sauce thickens.
3. Remove from heat and add the lime juice.
4. Cool, and store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to use. Will keep for at least a week.
TO COOK THE SALMON
1. Brush the salmon with a little vegetable oil and sprinkle with sea salt
2. Heat a char-grill pan or BBQ plate to medium
3. Cook for about 3-4 minutes each side or until done to your liking.
Asian Style Coleslaw
- 1/2 Chinese cabbage, finely sliced
- 2 carrots, juilenned
- 4 green shallots, sliced
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves
- 1/2 bunch Vietnamese mint
- 1/2 bag bean shoots
- handful watercress sprigs, optional
- 1 long red chilli, finely sliced
For the dressing
- 3 tbs sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tbs rice vinegar
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 3 tbs lime juice
- few drops of sesame oil
1. For the dressing, combine all the ingredients in a screw-top jar and shake well. store in the fridge until ready to use.
2. For the salad, combine all the ingredients in a sealed container in the fridge until ready to serve.
3. To serve, gently toss the salad with just enough of the dressing to moisten the ingredients. Keep the remainder refrigerated for at least a week.