Difficulty: Easy Time: 20 minutes prep, 30 minutes cooking Serves: 6
- Careme Sour Cream shortcrust pastry
- 400g ricotta
- parmesan cheese
- 200g cubed, pancetta, or sliced bacon, or chorizo, roughly chopped
- 150g baby spinach leaves, or frozen spinach, well drained
- marinated sun-dried tomatoes, drained, quantity to taste
- 1/2 large red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- pinch grated nutmeg
- sea salt and black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten, plus extra egg yolk to glaze the pastry
Preheat the oven to 200C
Thaw the pastry according to the packet instructions.
Place the spinach in a bowl and blanch, by pouring over a kettle of boiling water. Drain straight away, and squeeze out the excess water.
Saute the onions and garlic over medium /high heat with a little olive oil, add the pancetta and cook till crisp and brown.
Add the spinach and stir briefly to allow excess water to evaporate. Take off the heat and cool.
Stir in the ricotta, nutmeg, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and the beaten eggs.
Unroll the pastry onto a baking paper-line oven tray. Pile the filling on top, leaving a wide border.
Gather up the border and ‘pleat’ it to cover the filling. Top with some extra tomatoes.
Brush the pastry with the extra egg yolk and grate over some extra parmesan cheese.
Bake for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden.