Ground spices loose their flavour after a short time, so buy them in small quantities, and replace often.
For the marinade
- 140 g (1/2 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 3 cm piece ginger, peeled, finely grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs garam masala ( Herbies Spices brand if possible)
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra, to grease
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped coriander, plus extra leaves, to serve
- 800 g chicken thigh fillets, each one cut into 3
- Salt and pepper
For the sauce
- 2 tbs ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbs garam masala
- 1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 long red chillies, seeded, finely chopped
- 260 g (1 cup) passata (sieved pureed tomatoes)
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 1/2 bunch mint, leaves picked, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Marinate the chicken
Combine yoghurt, ginger, garlic, garam masala, lemon juice and zest, oil And coriander in a large bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight. Better still, seal in a zip-lock bag.
Make the sauce
Add the tumeric, garam masala and tomato paste and cook gently for a couple of minutes.
Now add the chicken and marinade. Stir well and cook on a high simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 15-20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. If you are not sure, take a piece out and cut it to see.
Season with salt, add the mint and stir well.