- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup castor sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- icing sugar
- extra cornflour
- 200ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
- pulp of 2 passionfruit, plus extra for serving
1. Preheat oven to 160C
2. Lightly grease a Swiss Roll tin ( 23 x 30 cm) and line with baking paper.
3. Lightly grease the paper with almond oil, dust with sifted cornflour, and shake off the excess.
4. Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt, until soft peaks form.
5. Gradually add the sugar, until the mixture is thick and glossy, then beat in the cornflour.
6. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared tray, and smooth the top.
7. Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 10 – 12 minutes , or until firm to the touch and lightly coloured.
8. Dust a piece of baking paper, slightly bigger than the baked meringue, with sifted icing sugar.
9. Allow the meringue to cool for a few minutes, then turn out onto the paper.
10. Carefully remove the lining paper and allow to cool.
11. Spread the meringue with enough of the whipped cream and passionfruit pulp, to within 3cm of the edges.
12. Starting with the short side of the meringue, and using the baking paper as a guide, roll up the meringue, using the paper to help turn it over.
13. Leave the roulade in the baking paper and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving.