Vary the vegetables and herbs, add cooked shredded chicken, seafood, chorizo or crisp prosciutto to complete the dish.
You can easily double this recipe to serve more guests.
Time: 10mins prep, 20 mins cooking Difficulty: Easy Serves: 2-3 good serves
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (200g) Arborio rice
- 400g pumpkin or kumera, chopped into small pieces
- 750ml ( 2 1/2 cups) chicken or vegetable stock
- sea salt & pepper
- olive oil
- 75ml white wine
- 25g soft butter
- small bunch fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- extra grated parmesan, chopped parsley and thyme leaves to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C
2. Bring the stock to a gentle simmer in a pan on the stove-top, or heat in the microwave, about 4 – 5mins on HIGH.
3. Heat a large ovenproof pan or casserole over medium- high heat. Add just enough olive oil to cover the base of the pan.
Add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes until softened. Season well with salt a and pepper.
4. Add the rice, pumpkin and thyme and stir to coat with the oil.
5. Add the white wine, allow to simmer until it is almost evapotated
6. Add the hot stock and bring to the boil. Stir to combine the ingredients
7. Cover the pan with a piece of baking paper, and then with a tight fitting lid.
8. Bake on the centre shelf for 20 – 25 minutes, or until almost all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
9. Stir through the soft butter and grated parmesan and taste for seasoning.
Slosh over a little extra olive oil, sprinkle with the extra herbs and parmesan and any extra goodies you fancy.