- 2 oranges, 3 if small
- 250g caster sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups (250g) almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cardamon
- 3/4 cup almond flakes, toasted
- 500g icing sugar, sifted
- 125g cream cheese, room temperature
- juice & zest of 2 oranges
- 25g butter, softened
1. Place the oranges in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and and simmer for 1 hour or until soft. Drain, and discard the water.
This can be done a day ahead, just store them in the fridge.
2. Preheat oven to 170C, fan-forced, grease the holes of muffin pans or line with paper cases.
My silicone mini muffin pan has 24 holes, each holding about 30ml or 2 tbs. There was also enough mixture to fill 6 larger friand moulds.
3. Quarter the oranges and remove the core or any seeds.
4. Blitz in a food processor until smooth.
5. Add the sugar and blitz again.
6. Add the eggs and process until just combined.
7. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and fold in the almond meal, cardamon and baking powder.
8. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin tins and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes.
9. Cool slightly in the pans before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
10. Spread the top of each cake – I turned mine upside-down – with icing and sprinkle with toasted almonds.
For the Icing
1. Process all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth.