- 6 large eggs
- 250 g caster sugar
- pinch ground cloves
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 500ml milk
- 300ml pouring cream
- 125ml dark rum ( I used 250ml )
- 100ml brandy
- freshly grated nutmeg to serve
Makes about 1 .5 lit
1. Beat the eggs, sugar and cloves together until pale and creamy, then set aside.
2. In a saucepan, heat up the milk, vanilla and cinnamon until near boiling point. Don’t let it boil.
3. Add about 1/3rd of the milk to the egg mix, whisk quickly.
4. Add this egg mix back into the remaining milk in the pan and mix well.
5. Cook gently over medium heat, stirring all the time, for about 3 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Do not boil.
6. Cool over an ice bath.
7. When cool, add the pouring cream, rum and brandy. Taste and adjust to your palate. I used more rum than the original recipe.
8. To serve. FILL THE GLASSES WITH ICE, pour in the eggnog and dust with a grating of nutmeg.