In this video, you’ll see how to prepare and carve the perfect glazed ham.
Ingredients for the Glaze
- 1 & 1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cardamon
- 1 tbsp dried mustard powder
- Orange Juice
- Preheat the oven to 180 C. Place an oven shelf in the lowest position in your oven. Line a large baking dish with 2 layers of non-stick baking paper, or better still, use a disposable foil baking tray.
- Use a small, sharp knife to cut around the shank of the ham, about 10cm from the end. This makes sure the hock of the ham looks presentable when serving at the table
- Gently lift the rind off in one piece by running your fingers between the rind and the fat.
- Use a knife to score the fat in a diamond pattern, about 5mm deep. Stud the centres of the diamonds with cloves.
- Spread half the glaze over the ham with a pastry brush. Add one cup of water to the base of the baking dish to stop the glaze from burning.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the ham starts to brown. Use the remainder of the glaze and return to the oven for a final 25 – 30 minutes. The ham should now be a beautiful golden colour and warmed through. Rest for 30 minutes before carving.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve.