Glazed Fruit Topped Christmas Cake
This is a last minute, 3 days ahead maximum, cake topping. It doesn’t last for ever, so do this if the cake will be eaten within a day or two after decorating.
Ingredients – a selection of the following, enough to cover the top of your cake
- whole blanched almonds
- brazil nuts or pecans
- dried really plump, apricots
- glace cherries
- dried cranberries
- crystallised ginger
For the Glaze
- 3 tbs apricot jam
- 2 tbs brandy
1. Toast the nut selection at 160C for about 10 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool and store in an airtight container.
2. Slice the apricots in half and combine with the other fruits.
3. Add the nuts.
For the Glaze
1. Melt the apricot jam in the Microwave or on the stove-top. Add the Brandy. Stir to combine.
1. Brush the warm glaze over the top of the cake, trying to keep as much as possible on the top of the cake.
2. Now add the fruit and nut selection. Fill in all the nooks and crannies, so there is a dense mix on the cake.
3. Brush liberally with the apricot glaze, to ‘stick’ all the fruits and nuts together.
4. Tie with a gorgeous ribbon.
5. Store in a sealed container for no more than 3 days.
Christmas Stars ‘Icing’
A quick and very decorative ‘icing’ can be made by using ready-made fondant (available in the supermarket). Just roll it out, following the packet directions, cut out stars with a pastry cutter and lay them on the cake, dust with a little sifted icing sugar.