- Soft hamburger or ciabatta rolls
- large free-range eggs, room temperature
- baby rocket leaves
- Bacon, 1 slice per serving, cut into strips
- 4 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 escallot, finely sliced (optional)
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- oil and/or butter to fry the eggs
1. Cut the bacon into thin strips. Heat a frypan, and cook the bacon over moderate heat until the pieces are crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, set aside, reserving the fat int the pan.
2. If using, saute the eschallot in the reserved fat for about one minute, stirring. Add the red wine vinegar and let it bubble away for 20-30 seconds, whisk in the Dijon.
3. Pour the hot dressing over the rocket leaves and toss with the bacon. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Split the rolls and toast the insides.
5. Reheat the frypan over medium to high heat, add a swirl of butter or oil to coat the pan. Crack in the eggs, reduce the heat to medium. I find covering the pan at this stage, seems to help the egg cook faster and more evenly.
Spoon a good dollop of Tomato & Capscium Chutney, on the base of the roll. Top with the bacon and rocket salad, slide on the egg, and tuck in.
Bloody Mary Cocktail
- Ice cubes
- Vodka, well chilled
- Tomato juice, well chilled
- 1 lemon, washed, halved, sliced
- Fresh lemon juice
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Sugar, to taste
- Celery salt (optional), to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Tabasco Sauce to taste
- Celery sticks with leafy tops, washed, to serve
Three-quarters fill a glass with ice cubes. Add 30mls chilled vodka and chilled tomato juice to almost fill glass. Add a lemon slice, 1 tbs lemon juice a good dashof Worcestershire Sauce. Stir in a pinch each of sugar, celery salt and ground black pepper and a dash of’ Tabasco Sauce to taste. Add a celery stick to glass.
Why not make a jug, it’s the perfect drink for Brekki or Brunch.