Difficulty: Easy Time: Prep: 10 minutes, Cook: 10-15 minutes Serves: 6, or any number you choose
- 6 bread slices
- 6 thin bacon slices
- shredded cheese of your choice
- handfull, shredded english spinach ( if using)
- 6 large fresh eggs, at room temperature
1. Preheat oven to 200C
2. Grease 6 wells of a muffin tray with butter.
3. In a frying pan, cook the bacon about 3-5 minutes , until partially cooked but not completely crispy. Drain on paper towel.
4. Remove the crusts from the bread slices and roll flat with a rolling pin. Use a cutter to cut 6 rounds of bread just big enough to fill the bottom of the muffin tin.
5. Wrap a piece of bacon around the inside of each muffin tin. Now gently press the bread rounds, buttered side down, into the muffin tins, securing the bacon in place.
6. Sprinkle a small amount of shredded cheese in the base of each tin, along with the spinach, if using.
7. One at a time, crack an egg into a small bowl or cup, keeping aside about half of the white. Drop the yolk and white into each prepared muffin tin, being careful not to break the yolk.
8. Drizzle a tiny amount of cream over the yolks.
9. Once all the bread pieces have been topped with eggs and cream, bake until eggs are cooked through to your liking bacon is crispy (about 10 – 12 minutes for me)
10. Run a knife around the edge of each muffin well and pop the egg cups out. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately.