This crumble mix does not contain the usual rolled oats. I prefer to use crushed amaretti biscuits instead. These are available at most good Deli’s or fruit markets, and any Italian food store. Brioche loaves are also readily available now in most supermarkets, just freeze what you don’t use.
For the crumble
- 100g Brioche crumbs
- 100g Amaretti biscuits, crushed
- 60g butter, melted
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 50g plain flour
- grated zest of 1 lemon
- ground cinnamon & grated nutmeg to taste
Mix together all the ingredients by hand in a bowl until well incorporated and crumbly in appearance.
For the fruit
- 4 small Granny Smith or Golden Delicious apples, peeled, chopped
- 1 bunch rhubarb, washed, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 100g castor sugar
- 30ml fresh lemon juice
- Demerara sugar
1. Preheat oven 180C
2. Combine the apple, rhubarb, castor sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan. Cook over a moderate heat until the rhubarb has softened but still holds it shape, about 5-8 minutes. Divide the mixture between 4 ramekins and pour over the cooking juices.
3. Sprinkle the crumble mix generously over the fruit and top with some demerara sugar. Place the ramekins on an oven tray and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until the topping has browned.
4. Serve with double cream or vanilla bean icecream.